95-Year-Old Care Home Resident, Tasered by Police, Passes Away

Police have confirmed the unfortunate passing of Clare Nowland, a 95-year-old woman who was tasered by a police officer in a care home. Mrs. Nowland, who suffered from dementia, tragically fractured her skull last Wednesday when Constable Kristian White deployed a stun gun on her at her retirement home in New South Wales, Australia.

Credit: ABC

New South Wales Police have now verified that Mrs. Nowland has passed away in the hospital. She was surrounded by her family and loved ones during this difficult time. In their statement, the police expressed great sadness, announcing the peaceful passing of 95-year-old Clare Nowland in Cooma on Wednesday, May 24, 2023, just after 7 pm. The family has requested privacy, and our thoughts and condolences go out to those fortunate enough to have known, loved, and been loved by Mrs. Nowland. She led a life marked by family, kindness, and community.

The incident unfolded when staff at Yallambee Lodge care home discovered Mrs. Nowland holding a knife and promptly contacted the police. The officers attempted to disarm her but resorted to using a taser, which resulted in her suffering a fractured skull.

95-year-old Clare Nowland has died after being tasered by NSW Police. Credit: 7 News

One of the officers involved in the incident has now been charged with grievous bodily harm. NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb, during a press conference, announced that legal action has been initiated against a 33-year-old senior constable from Monaro Police District. The charges include recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and assault. The constable is scheduled to appear at the Cooma local court on July 5 of this year.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb confirmed a police officer has been charged with GBH. Credit: 9 News

Commissioner Webb expressed condolences to the Nowland family and acknowledged the efforts of the detectives who worked tirelessly to progress the investigation. She stated that the serious charges arising from the unfortunate incident are now in the hands of the court.

Related Posts